The Miniaturist- book review

Blurb: On an autumn day in 1686, eighteen-year-old Nella Oortman arrives at a grand house in Amsterdam to begin her new life as the wife of wealthy merchant Johannes Brandt. Though curiously distant, he presents her with an extraordinary wedding gift: a cabinet sized replica of their home. It is to be furnished by an elusive miniaturist, whose tiny creations ring eerily true.
As Nella uncovers the secrets of her new household she realizes the escalating dangers they face. The miniaturist seems to hold their fate in her hands- but does she plan to save or destroy them?

This book was certainly interesting, with unexpected turns, and well written characters, however it could be because that I have a taste for fast paced books that I found this disappointingly slow. It didn't grab my attention, and I felt that not enough happened at the start of the book. Saying this, the pace did pick up towards the end, when all of the pieces started coming together. I only picked it up because it was so highly recommended, and I can see why it is, with the well written storyline, and impeccable sense of history, but I don't think I will be reading it again anytime soon.

Marks out of 10? A 6, due to the fact that it seemed to drag on a bit, but still a good book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Pinterest

https://uk.pinterest.com/leahgibby/

Meet The Author

My name is Leah Gibby and I live in England. I'm 18 years old, I love reading and sewing, and I hope you like my blog
Read the Printed Word!